For several reasons, such as disruptive threats, digitalization or blurring industry boundaries, established companies are increasingly forced to create new business opportunities, i.e. to come up with adapted or even entirely new business models. Moreover, developing a ‘business model innovation capability‘ seems particularly vital in the light of ever decreasing life cycles. Shrinking life times of established business models are tied to the fact that […]
Tag Archives | Business Model Innovation
This ‘opinion’ on the question “What can startups and incumbents learn from each other and what are the biggest threats?” was originally published at innoboard.de. In recent years, an increasing intensity in collaboration between incumbent companies and startups has been observed. Meanwhile, close to 80% of corporations and startups have already been or are […]
This article was co-written with Frank Mattes. Being among the pioneers (see e.g. here or here) in making the case that dual approaches to modern corporate innovation are mandatory for innovation impact, we have recently been delighted about two things: First, more and more companies are appreciating our arguments as the following data suggest […]
This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation March 9, 2018
- Digital Transformation Combines Customer Experience and Operational Efficiency December 13, 2017
- Identifying and Implementing Innovation Measures December 13, 2017
- Scaling Edges vs. Transforming Core December 13, 2017
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings November 17, 2017
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation March 9, 2018
- Novas Formas de Engajamento entre Corporações e Startups 🚀 – Blog do Nei: […] Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation [...
- Bruce Starcher: Ralph, First let me say that this is a great ar...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks a bunch, Saul - it's good to hear you shar...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for the comment, Bruce - a couple of remark...
- Bruce Starcher: Sorry to say this but this is overly simplistic an...
- Inovando o seu Modelos de Negócios – Blog do Nei: […] Organizational Pathways to Business Mode...
- Saul Kaplan /sessionWorkflow/basketWorkflow/basketSelection/paymentAccountSelection/selectedAccount/paymentMethod/providerType: Bravo Ralph. Clearly we have been on similar journ...
- Didier Lebouc: I have always doubts about measuring something whi...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Paul. Indeed, I think the concept delineate...
- Paul Hobcraft: Hi Ralph / Frank, Sounds like this "Areas of ...
- @TheDataAgent @AndrewSillitoe Learn fast, rather than fail fast ;-) 11 hours ago
- #Google has recently launched an official process for learning from failure, called "Postmortem" - and it's a tool… https://t.co/mStdecYMWC 15 hours ago
- RT @tomfishburne: “Being Agile” - new cartoon and post on how “Agile” spread from software development to the rest of business (and lost so… 23 hours ago retweeted via tomfishburne
- RT @Willie_Krause: Innovation is not an either or debate. Great model to show portfolio thinking and organisation. https://t.co/QMadJItu2C 2 days ago retweeted via Willie_Krause
- Auf den Punkt: "Grosskonzerne benötigen Inseln ohne Abstossreaktion." - @PeterGuse, CEO Bosch Start-up GmbH, zum Th… https://t.co/zDW86JPPw5 2 days ago