The business magazine Capital and Infront Consulting recently published their second joint annual study (in German only) on the Digital Innovation Unit landscape in Germany. The study analyzed the units in terms of set objectives and their achievements, as well as of the following success criteria: Steering Themes / direction of impact Involvement of the company Methods / program […]
Tag Archives | Business Model Innovation
For several reasons, such as disruptive threats, digitalization or blurring industry boundaries, established companies are increasingly forced to create new business opportunities, i.e. to come up with adapted or even entirely new business models. Moreover, developing a ‘business model innovation capability‘ seems particularly vital in the light of ever decreasing life cycles. Shrinking life times of established business models are tied to the fact that […]
This ‘opinion’ on the question “What can startups and incumbents learn from each other and what are the biggest threats?” was originally published at innoboard.de. In recent years, an increasing intensity in collaboration between incumbent companies and startups has been observed. Meanwhile, close to 80% of corporations and startups have already been or are […]
This article was co-written with Frank Mattes. Being among the pioneers (see e.g. here or here) in making the case that dual approaches to modern corporate innovation are mandatory for innovation impact, we have recently been delighted about two things: First, more and more companies are appreciating our arguments as the following data suggest […]
This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- Innovation is About Getting Beyond the Idea September 2, 2018
- Venturing Activities in Corporate Innovation: Types, Features and Success Factors August 4, 2018
- Dual Innovation Ecosystem Strategy: Broker vs. Orchestrator August 3, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Jesse Nieminen: Thanks for sharing the book Ralph-Christian, seems...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – Innovation Excellence: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks - good to hear it's useful for you!...
- Omar Enrique Jimenez: Very good article...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Glad it's useful, Maisoun....
- Maisoun: Thanks for your effort...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Good to hear you find it useful, Paul....
- Paul Hobcraft: Nice pulling together of all the thoughts around c...
- Jurij: These days the importance of startup and corporati...
- Novas Formas de Engajamento entre Corporações e Startups 🚀 – Blog do Nei: […] Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation [...
- This thread is right on the mark! #innovation https://t.co/ALRyqe3JY3 11 hours ago
- RT @petervan: Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings https://t.co/Y3lpSXSJqo by @ralph_ohr 13 hours ago retweeted via petervan
- Great kick-off of our Peer Group 'Scaling-Up' 2018 in Berlin earlier this week - we are excited about further co-cr… https://t.co/DORNIlBRhE 13 hours ago
- We propose implementing a dedicated #Innovation Playing Field and Operating Model to 'Reshape the Core' - acting as… https://t.co/9d7bWaFRJS 15 hours ago
- RT @ITFOU: The art of “scaling your impact not your output”. Key challenges: Different #leadership style required and the lack of a busines… 16 hours ago retweeted via ITFOU