This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
Tag Archives | Business Model Innovation
Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
Both Lean Startup and Design Thinking are promising approaches in order to target innovation. The Lean Startup concept is an appropriate choice for creating new businesses through development of an already existing idea or vision. Design thinking, on the other hand, might be preferred if the right business idea has not been found yet and customer needs or problems are still vague. Therefore, […]
PwC has released the 2013 issue of their Global Innovation Survey, titled ‘Breakthrough Innovation and Growth‘. One of the main outcomes is that there is a clear correlation between innovation and growth. 93% of the executives surveyed indicate that organic growth through Innovation will drive the greater proportion of their revenue growth. Only 2% of companies expect […]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results […]
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Digile Ltd: When we did the innovation model before, scaling i...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Liselotte Engstam: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Digoshen: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Firoz Shroff: Gentlemen, Grateful to all of you for sharing th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your Feedback and in-depth comment, Dav...
- David Johnston: Ralph: Really good stuff -- thanks for putting ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thank you, Wellington - good to hear you like the ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: We could certainly also put it this way, Simon :-)...
- Wellington Manjengwa: This is another great post! Couldn't agree more t...
- Simon Hobson: I suspect the phrase should be "Bad Innovation Sy...
- Concurring to this: Growing Need for Intrapreneurial Leaders https://t.co/K8Y8qqX3EX via @tendayiviki #innovation #leadership 5 hours ago
- Culture clash - the challenge of #innovation through acquisition. #strategy https://t.co/gfH36OULIN 8 hours ago
- RT @DualTransform: Watch our 2-minute explainer video for the big picture idea of how to reinvent today's business while creating tomorrow.… 20 hours ago retweeted via DualTransform
- #Innovation and Organizational Culture - build dedicated cultures for distinct playing fields https://t.co/9oeWj95lmJ #orgdesign #leadership 1 day ago
- Looking for some hard data on hallmarks of successful ambidextrous #orgdesign? Here it is: https://t.co/odmgYJSu5r #innovation #leadership 2 days ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)