Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
Tag Archives | Business Model Innovation
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
Both Lean Startup and Design Thinking are promising approaches in order to target innovation. The Lean Startup concept is an appropriate choice for creating new businesses through development of an already existing idea or vision. Design thinking, on the other hand, might be preferred if the right business idea has not been found yet and customer needs or problems are still vague. Therefore, […]
PwC has released the 2013 issue of their Global Innovation Survey, titled ‘Breakthrough Innovation and Growth‘. One of the main outcomes is that there is a clear correlation between innovation and growth. 93% of the executives surveyed indicate that organic growth through Innovation will drive the greater proportion of their revenue growth. Only 2% of companies expect […]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results […]
In my previous post I have stressed why an integrative approach to sustainable innovation management seems increasingly important to me. The main reason is, that modern organizations range in an environment of various tensions and continuous complexity. This situation requires structures, strategies and cultures to be in place that support dynamic balancing of opposing and complementary elements in the innovation process. Recently, […]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Henry: Explorers outperform exploiters in the long run. ...
- Henry: So true. I actually work in a tech start-up that ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment! In fact, th...
- Kevin McFarthing: Hi Ralph - a very good article. It seems to me th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Terrific comment - thanks, Joachim! I'm fully wit...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Graham....
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Maarten - I agree with your points made....
- Maarten Korz: This is all about ambidextarity. Engine 1: exploit...
- Graham Douglas: People will need to apply Integrative Thinking whi...
- joachim von heimburg: I fully agree. The business world has gone VUCA (v...
- RT @engageinnovate: The Trinity of Dual Innovation and Transformation | Integrative Innovation https://t.co/JYZE9MKg5B 12 hours ago retweeted via engageinnovate
- RT @ITFOU: Scaling Innovation #Ventures https://t.co/4llEiLXtum 12 hours ago retweeted via ITFOU
- Great post from @eugeneivanov101: Building Your #Innovation “Dream Team” https://t.co/w4despRuv7 14 hours ago
- Good post on the human side of #innovation: Profiling Enterprise Innovators https://t.co/CUa5DYiUXm 16 hours ago
- "Adopt a Both/And Performance Mindset": Four Ways CEOs Can Conquer Short-Termism https://t.co/OCrkTwiLht #leadership #strategy 19 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)