As pointed out in a recent post, teaming up with startups provides an opportunity for established firms to drive innovation without risking major interference with their core businesses. Particularly, with regard to radical or disruptive innovation, investing in startup incubators, accelerators or corporate venturing increases the chance to get access to promising novel technologies and business models. On the other [...]
There is a lot of dicussion around how customer orientation effects innovation. The most extreme assertion is to “ignore the customer” in order to not becoming distracted from true innovativeness by getting too close to customers, limiting innovation to incremental new offerings. A research paper by V. Govindarajan, P. K. Kopalle and E. Danneels studies the effects of customer [...]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature [...]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally innovating [...]
Both Lean Startup and Design Thinking are promising approaches in order to target innovation. The Lean Startup concept is an appropriate choice for creating new businesses through development of an already existing idea or vision. Design thinking, on the other hand, might be preferred if the right business idea has not been found yet and customer needs or problems are still vague. Therefore, [...]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to [...]
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act [...]
PwC has released the 2013 issue of their Global Innovation Survey, titled ‘Breakthrough Innovation and Growth‘. One of the main outcomes is that there is a clear correlation between innovation and growth. 93% of the executives surveyed indicate that organic growth through Innovation will drive the greater proportion of their revenue growth. Only 2% of companies expect [...]
This is part two of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. In the first part we worked out why successful firms need to balance radical and incremental innovation. We introduced the concept of organizational ambidexterity as an appropriate way for simultaneously conducting exploration and exploitation, the two paradigms behind radical and incremental innovation. This second part [...]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results [...]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Innovators Hold Strong Visions Weakly February 3, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Evolutionary and Revolutionary Innovation February 3, 2013
- Innovation and Diversity February 3, 2013
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Innovation and Growth September 12, 2013
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Richard. Indeed, I think engagement with ne...
- Richard Hughes-Jones: Neat summary Ralph, and there was me thinking that...
- Innovation Excellence | Is Innovation Simple?: […] buys your product and why, is essential ...
- Dale Morris: Mr. Ohr, I like seeing this kind of thinking go...
- Innovation Excellence | Balancing Large and Small Firm Capabilities: […] established firms to complement their in...
- Innovation Excellence | Balancing Large and Small Firm Capabilities: […] outlined in earlier posts, organizations...
- Innovation Excellence | Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking: […] merge these increasingly upcoming framew...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment, Kimon - it's great to he...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: That's a good point, Nancy. I agree with you that...
- Nancy shea: I agree that larger organization should partner wi...
- The Evidence Is In: Patent Trolls Do Hurt #Innovation - often, not always. http://t.co/q0qdPQipQ0 9 hours ago
- Im-patent to innovate http://t.co/XqDViCDU61 9 hours ago
- Insightful in context of #leanstartup discussion: Why Silicon Valley Rules Don't Work for So Many Older Companies http://t.co/Q3fW8WSSlC 12 hours ago
- My latest: Leveraging New Ventures for #Innovation http://t.co/kPoQf3DQp0 #strategy #leanstartup 1 day ago
- “@WSJstartup: When partnering with giants, here are some warning signs of a sour deal for startups by @willhsu http://t.co/yrkfwAq1GY” 1 day ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- Innovation for Growth
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- 3M Die Erfinder (german / deutsch)
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Gaurav Bhalla
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)