Both Lean Startup and Design Thinking are promising approaches in order to target innovation. The Lean Startup concept is an appropriate choice for creating new businesses through development of an already existing idea or vision. Design thinking, on the other hand, might be preferred if the right business idea has not been found yet and customer needs or problems are still vague. Therefore, [...]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to [...]
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act [...]
PwC has released the 2013 issue of their Global Innovation Survey, titled ‘Breakthrough Innovation and Growth‘. One of the main outcomes is that there is a clear correlation between innovation and growth. 93% of the executives surveyed indicate that organic growth through Innovation will drive the greater proportion of their revenue growth. Only 2% of companies expect [...]
This is part two of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. In the first part we worked out why successful firms need to balance radical and incremental innovation. We introduced the concept of organizational ambidexterity as an appropriate way for simultaneously conducting exploration and exploitation, the two paradigms behind radical and incremental innovation. This second part [...]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results [...]
This is part one of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. Organizational ambidexterity is becoming a key factor for success in many industries. With a proper ambidextrous set-up, firms can optimally balance radical and incremental innovation. In this article, we are showing the need for organizational ambidexterity, introduce the concept, show how it can [...]
In a previous post, I have pointed out the importance of diversity for innovation and organizational adaptability. Diversity is a crucial precursor to serendipity. In the Power of Pull, John Hagel, John Seely Brown and Lang Davison emphasize the rising need for serendipity: We need to find ways to attract relevant innovators and edge participants [...]
In my previous post I have stressed why an integrative approach to sustainable innovation management seems increasingly important to me. The main reason is, that modern organizations range in an environment of various tensions and continuous complexity. This situation requires structures, strategies and cultures to be in place that support dynamic balancing of opposing and complementary elements in the innovation process. Recently, [...]
Some people I’ve been collaborating with have recently encouraged me to open up an own blog. After having given it some thought, I decided to do so. I’m launching a new site and platform titled “Integrative Innovation” to share ideas and perspectives on innovation. You might ask: why “Integrative Innovation”? Is this yet another buzzword? I don’t think so. I rather [...]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Innovators Hold Strong Visions Weakly February 3, 2013
- Evolutionary and Revolutionary Innovation February 3, 2013
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Innovation and Diversity February 3, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Business Model Innovation as Wicked Problem February 3, 2013
- Gerardo: Me parece muy acertado el enfoque, normalmente la ...
- Ryan Wynia: ABC! Always Be Creating (value) I fear we're ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your kind feedback, Pavel - it's good ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment, Wendy - it's great to he...
- Wendy Castleman: Yes, we did this over 2 years ago at Intuit. We'v...
- Pavel Bogdashov: I like your thinking on this - I am less familiar ...
- Innovation Excellence | Managing Innovation Portfolios – Operational Portfolio Management: […] at the intersection of organizational an...
- Innovation Excellence | Managing Innovation Portfolios – Strategic Portfolio Management: […] Related to this balance, simultaneous ma...
- Are You Aiming High Enough? | Business and Software Strategy for Globalisation: […] if the Bank With Tweets guys really do m...
- Innovation Excellence | Are You Aiming High Enough?: […] if the Bank With Tweets guys really do m...
- @CreativePeas Thanks for the kind shoutout - have a good weekend! 2 hours ago
- Rings true to me - “@joelgascoigne: What If The Key to Making It Big Is Starting Small? http://t.co/JnZBC5LdJh” #leanstartup #innovation 22 hours ago
- Good point! #Innovation: Small Businesses Live It, Big Businesses Buy It http://t.co/1S7lz4ygDO 1 day ago
- #Innovation Thought Leaders: Do You Know Who They Are and Their Impact on Business? http://t.co/2s9KFoqCY4 1 day ago
- Great post from @timkastelle: We're Not Risk-Averse, We're Variance-Averse http://t.co/LQeHFeM0NN 1 day ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- Innovation for Growth
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- 3M Die Erfinder (german / deutsch)
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Gaurav Bhalla
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)