Recently, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) has published key findings of their latest “Most Innovative Companies 2014” survey. Beside the annual ranking, headed by the top three companies Apple, Google and Samsung, some insightful outcomes with regard to organizational and cultural requirements have striked my eye. According to BCG’s research, successfully innovating companies approach innovation as a system. The system is rooted in experimentation, […]
Yesterday, I was quite delighted to see my post Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking ranked #11 of the Top 100 Innovation Posts 2014 at Innovation Excellence. Once again, I was pondering why this post has been by far the most resonating one I’ve written up to now. My conclusion: many of us are aware that innovation tools, even up-to-date ones, have a limited scope […]
Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a business model […]
This is part three of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. The first part highlighted that radical and incremental innovation build on two different innovation set-ups (exploration and exploitation, respect. The second part showed in a sample of seven leading firms that ambidexterity is used in two main types – contextual and structural ambidexterity. In […]
As pointed out in a recent post, teaming up with startups provides an opportunity for established firms to drive innovation without risking major interference with their core businesses. Particularly, with regard to radical or disruptive innovation, investing in startup incubators, accelerators or corporate venturing increases the chance to get access to promising novel technologies and business models. On the other […]
There is a lot of dicussion around how customer orientation effects innovation. The most extreme assertion is to “ignore the customer” in order to not becoming distracted from true innovativeness by getting too close to customers, limiting innovation to incremental new offerings. A research paper by V. Govindarajan, P. K. Kopalle and E. Danneels studies the effects of customer […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally innovating […]
Both Lean Startup and Design Thinking are promising approaches in order to target innovation. The Lean Startup concept is an appropriate choice for creating new businesses through development of an already existing idea or vision. Design thinking, on the other hand, might be preferred if the right business idea has not been found yet and customer needs or problems are still vague. Therefore, […]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to […]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Innovators Hold Strong Visions Weakly February 3, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Evolutionary and Revolutionary Innovation February 3, 2013
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Innovation and Diversity February 3, 2013
- Zoltan Kish: It is an excellent article. It is very important t...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: You're right, Paul! Companies need agile ventures...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Good to hear it's useful for you, Michel!...
- Paul Hobcraft: Adaptability- here lies the issue within innovatio...
- Michel Bélanger: Excellent article. Thanks for sharing...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Kevin - I fully agree with you!...
- Kevin McFarthing: Excellent article, Ralph. The teachings of evolut...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Mark. I think your suggestion is in line wi...
- Mark Heseltine: Great article, thanks. I am a bit unsure about int...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Richard. Indeed, I think engagement with ne...
- RT @MikeShipulski: If you want to know about #Innovation and Organizational #Culture, just read this - http://t.co/8t3aIk44NJ - super post … 4 hours ago retweeted via MikeShipulski
- RT @timkastelle: Terrific post by @ralph_ohr One Size Doesn’t Fit All #Innovation http://t.co/E8jXDsi3to 5 hours ago retweeted via timkastelle
- Experimentation is a prerequisite for adaptability. That's why orgs must experiment more. http://t.co/cY5jGChi9X via @jorgebarba #innovation 5 hours ago
- RT @ideaglow: Check out our latest #ideamanagement blog post roundup http://t.co/3P2XnASswF Feat. posts by @MikeShipulski @innovatorslike @… 19 hours ago retweeted via ideaglow
- Now up at @IXchat: One Size Doesn't Fit All #Innovation - http://t.co/ZDTe2E3jtD #leanstartup #designthinking 19 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- Innovation for Growth
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- 3M Die Erfinder (german / deutsch)
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Gaurav Bhalla
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)