In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
For quite some time, I’ve been advocating the idea that successful and sustainable corporate innovation management systems should be based on the following cornerstones: Organizational ambidexterity: Sustainable innovation management is required to account for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. optimizing existing businesses and developing new businesses have to be driven in parallel. Failing to achieve an individually optimal balance will not lead to company success in the short and long […]
As we have suggested earlier, innovation activities that are radical or disruptive in nature, should be separated from incremental innovation around a company’s established core business. The main reasons are: Required capabilities, structures, approaches, success metrics and culture for radical/disruptive innovation are highly incompatible with those required for incremental innovation. Radical/disruptive innovation activities need full-time resources to get executed properly and time-efficiently. However, separation is a […]
Recently, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) has published key findings of their latest “Most Innovative Companies 2014” survey. Beside the annual ranking, headed by the top three companies Apple, Google and Samsung, some insightful outcomes with regard to organizational and cultural requirements have striked my eye. According to BCG’s research, successfully innovating companies approach innovation as a system. The system is rooted in experimentation, […]
Yesterday, I was quite delighted to see my post Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking ranked #11 of the Top 100 Innovation Posts 2014 at Innovation Excellence. Once again, I was pondering why this post has been by far the most resonating one I’ve written up to now. My conclusion: many of us are aware that innovation tools, even up-to-date ones, have a limited scope […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
This is part three of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. The first part highlighted that radical and incremental innovation build on two different innovation set-ups (exploration and exploitation, respect. The second part showed in a sample of seven leading firms that ambidexterity is used in two main types – contextual and structural ambidexterity. In […]
As pointed out in a recent post, teaming up with startups provides an opportunity for established firms to drive innovation without risking major interference with their core businesses. Particularly, with regard to radical or disruptive innovation, investing in startup incubators, accelerators or corporate venturing increases the chance to get access to promising novel technologies and business models. On the other […]
There is a lot of dicussion around how customer orientation effects innovation. The most extreme assertion is to “ignore the customer” in order to not becoming distracted from true innovativeness by getting too close to customers, limiting innovation to incremental new offerings. A research paper by V. Govindarajan, P. K. Kopalle and E. Danneels studies the effects of customer […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- The Future of Innovation is Open February 3, 2013
- Innovators Hold Strong Visions Weakly February 3, 2013
- Evolutionary and Revolutionary Innovation February 3, 2013
- Balancing Large and Small Firm Capabilities March 16, 2014
- Malcolm Earp: Really interesting article. Combined with autonomo...
- We’ve Hit Peak Innovation (Hype) | Tim Kastelle: […] to invest in potentially game-changing i...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your points, Charles!...
- Charles M Lines: I have two points: 1. Anyone seeking to collaborat...
- Organizational Models for Breakthrough Innovation | INNOWEO: […] You can reach the Ralph original post by...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your great comment, Brittany! Indeed, I...
- Brittany: Hi Ralph! Great thoughts on innovation in organi...
- Innovation Excellence | Customer Orientation Effects on Innovation: […] One main conclusion of this research is ...
- Innovation Excellence | One Size Doesn’t Fit All Innovation: […] As we can see from the chart, e.g. Desig...
- Innovation Excellence | Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation: […] pointed out in a recent post, teaming up...
- Interesting: Google is testing wireless charging for self-driving cars https://t.co/RLvSFh0utz #transportation #innovation #technology 2 hours ago
- Good to remember: visions are just hypotheses that need to be tested https://t.co/cTrLemTX6Z 19 hours ago
- Interesting merging: Visualizing the 4 Essentials of #DesignThinking https://t.co/YoYoECyrsi 19 hours ago
- Discovering the Value of the “Corporate” Entrepreneur https://t.co/3TpwGCmhKL #innovation #hr 19 hours ago
- In case you missed my latest. #innovation #cocreation #bmgen #leanstartup #cx #designthinking #digitaltransformation https://t.co/p0W864jNPg 21 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- Innovation Upgrade
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Gaurav Bhalla
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)