This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to [...]
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act [...]
PwC has released the 2013 issue of their Global Innovation Survey, titled ‘Breakthrough Innovation and Growth‘. One of the main outcomes is that there is a clear correlation between innovation and growth. 93% of the executives surveyed indicate that organic growth through Innovation will drive the greater proportion of their revenue growth. Only 2% of companies expect [...]
This is part two of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. In the first part we worked out why successful firms need to balance radical and incremental innovation. We introduced the concept of organizational ambidexterity as an appropriate way for simultaneously conducting exploration and exploitation, the two paradigms behind radical and incremental innovation. This second part [...]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results [...]
This is part one of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. Organizational ambidexterity is becoming a key factor for success in many industries. With a proper ambidextrous set-up, firms can optimally balance radical and incremental innovation. In this article, we are showing the need for organizational ambidexterity, introduce the concept, show how it can [...]
In a previous post, I have pointed out the importance of diversity for innovation and organizational adaptability. Diversity is a crucial precursor to serendipity. In the Power of Pull, John Hagel, John Seely Brown and Lang Davison emphasize the rising need for serendipity: We need to find ways to attract relevant innovators and edge participants [...]
In my previous post I have stressed why an integrative approach to sustainable innovation management seems increasingly important to me. The main reason is, that modern organizations range in an environment of various tensions and continuous complexity. This situation requires structures, strategies and cultures to be in place that support dynamic balancing of opposing and complementary elements in the innovation process. Recently, [...]
Some people I’ve been collaborating with have recently encouraged me to open up an own blog. After having given it some thought, I decided to do so. I’m launching a new site and platform titled “Integrative Innovation” to share ideas and perspectives on innovation. You might ask: why “Integrative Innovation”? Is this yet another buzzword? I don’t think so. I rather [...]
This post was co-written with Tim Kastelle from Innovation for Growth. What are the key innovation issues facing the business community right now? When we met up in person recently we had a great talk about this question. We’ve continued the discussion over email, and these are the four innovation management issues that we [...]
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 2: Operational Portfolio Management
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management
- Innovation and Growth
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2
- Balanced Portfolios and Business Model Innovation Distinguish Outperformers
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Innovators Hold Strong Visions Weakly February 3, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Innovation and Diversity February 3, 2013
- Evolutionary and Revolutionary Innovation February 3, 2013
- Business Model Innovation as Wicked Problem February 3, 2013
- An Integrative Approach to Strategy and Innovation May 6, 2013
- Innovation Excellence | Managing Innovation Portfolios – Operational Portfolio Management: […] at the intersection of organizational an...
- Innovation Excellence | Managing Innovation Portfolios – Strategic Portfolio Management: […] Related to this balance, simultaneous ma...
- Are You Aiming High Enough? | Business and Software Strategy for Globalisation: […] if the Bank With Tweets guys really do m...
- Innovation Excellence | Are You Aiming High Enough?: […] if the Bank With Tweets guys really do m...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your response, Donna! For sure there...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Still under construction - please stay tuned!...
- Donna Fedor: Thanks for the summary Ralph-Christian. I find it ...
- Paul Hobcraft: Did you ever write a third part- can't find it at...
- Steveo: Do you want to help us with our innovation managem...
- Innovation = reducing errors + increasing insights | Game-Changer: […] This is the innovation dilemma most orga...
- Interesting: How Square Is Structured For Rapid Decisions, Awesome Products http://t.co/9vcBooH4Du 2 hours ago
- Partnerships are defining 21st C innovation - “@sniukas: #Innovation Through Collaboration | INSEAD Knowledge http://t.co/uQsnmd91I3” 12 hours ago
- To Build a Better Business School, Consider the Student a Customer http://t.co/mn4c84gw3z 17 hours ago
- +1 “@timkastelle: Good post: Mythbusting: Corporate Ethnography and the Giant Green Button by @PARCinc http://t.co/ia8aA5AtqI” 1 day ago
- “@jhagel: Fasten your safety belt. I explore the dark side of technology in my latest blog post and it ain't pretty http://t.co/tV5lwp3Vgt” 1 day ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- Innovation for Growth
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- 3M Die Erfinder (german / deutsch)
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Gaurav Bhalla
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)