The first time I was advocating the idea of a dual innovation approach, here also referred to as organizational ambidexterity, is now more than 5 years ago. At this time it became pretty obvious to me that this concept – academically worn-out but deficiently or not at all put into practice in most organizations – would be of increasing importance […]
Tag Archives | Ambidexterity
This is part three of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. The first part highlighted that radical and incremental innovation build on two different innovation set-ups (exploration and exploitation, respect. The second part showed in a sample of seven leading firms that ambidexterity is used in two main types – contextual and structural ambidexterity. […]
There is a lot of dicussion around how customer orientation effects innovation. The most extreme assertion is to “ignore the customer” in order to not becoming distracted from true innovativeness by getting too close to customers, limiting innovation to incremental new offerings. A research paper by V. Govindarajan, P. K. Kopalle and E. Danneels studies the effects of customer […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to […]
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act […]
This is part two of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. In the first part we worked out why successful firms need to balance radical and incremental innovation. We introduced the concept of organizational ambidexterity as an appropriate way for simultaneously conducting exploration and exploitation, the two paradigms behind radical and incremental innovation. This second […]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results […]
This is part one of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. Organizational ambidexterity is becoming a key factor for success in many industries. With a proper ambidextrous set-up, firms can optimally balance radical and incremental innovation. In this article, we are showing the need for organizational ambidexterity, introduce the concept, show how it […]
In my previous post I have stressed why an integrative approach to sustainable innovation management seems increasingly important to me. The main reason is, that modern organizations range in an environment of various tensions and continuous complexity. This situation requires structures, strategies and cultures to be in place that support dynamic balancing of opposing and complementary elements in the innovation process. Recently, […]
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- Innovation is About Getting Beyond the Idea September 2, 2018
- Venturing Activities in Corporate Innovation: Types, Features and Success Factors August 4, 2018
- Dual Innovation Ecosystem Strategy: Broker vs. Orchestrator August 3, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Five Blogs – 29 October 2018 – 5blogs: […] Innovation is About Getting Beyond the I...
- Increasingly Digital World-Learn Corporate Executive Lena Danielsson: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment and sharing, Jesse - and s...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Lena - likewise! Great lineup and insightfu...
- Lena Andrushchenko: Such a great article! Great you are writing about ...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – tri.cash crypto news: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Jesse Nieminen: Thanks for sharing the book Ralph-Christian, seems...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – Innovation Excellence: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks - good to hear it's useful for you!...
- Omar Enrique Jimenez: Very good article...
- Interesting: The #VC unicorn obsession is creating an early-stage funding wasteland https://t.co/zNDhOM7DWP #innovation #entrepreneurship 7 hours ago
- Worthwile post from @ashmaurya: Give Yourself Permission to Scale https://t.co/C0fkAliSXI #leanstartup #scaleup… https://t.co/PTEfhJOexT 9 hours ago
- [Re-reading @timkastelle] There are three ways to come up with disruptive #innovation: - 10X improvement - Business… https://t.co/FdueVVrVle 9 hours ago
- Your Strategy Process Needs a Strategy - @MartinKReeves et. al on modern approaches to corporate #strategy developm… https://t.co/NjbpGnPYJd 2 days ago
- Digital, Agile, Mindful, Whatever: Avoiding the Buzzword Trap for Successful #Innovation - thoughtful roundup of ob… https://t.co/r2rCKS2jkd 3 days ago