This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to […]
Tag Archives | Ambidexterity
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act […]
This is part two of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. In the first part we worked out why successful firms need to balance radical and incremental innovation. We introduced the concept of organizational ambidexterity as an appropriate way for simultaneously conducting exploration and exploitation, the two paradigms behind radical and incremental innovation. This second […]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results […]
This is part one of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. Organizational ambidexterity is becoming a key factor for success in many industries. With a proper ambidextrous set-up, firms can optimally balance radical and incremental innovation. In this article, we are showing the need for organizational ambidexterity, introduce the concept, show how it […]
In my previous post I have stressed why an integrative approach to sustainable innovation management seems increasingly important to me. The main reason is, that modern organizations range in an environment of various tensions and continuous complexity. This situation requires structures, strategies and cultures to be in place that support dynamic balancing of opposing and complementary elements in the innovation process. Recently, […]
Some people I’ve been collaborating with have recently encouraged me to open up an own blog. After having given it some thought, I decided to do so. I’m launching a new site and platform titled “Integrative Innovation” to share ideas and perspectives on innovation. You might ask: why “Integrative Innovation”? Is this yet another buzzword? I don’t think so. I rather […]
This post was co-written with Tim Kastelle from Innovation for Growth. What are the key innovation issues facing the business community right now? When we met up in person recently we had a great talk about this question. We’ve continued the discussion over email, and these are the four innovation management issues that we […]
Sustainable innovation requires evolution and revolution. Over the long term, organizations need to be capable of both moving along existing growth trajectories and creating new ones when the old business matures or stalls. This can be depicted as recurring movement along innovation s-curves. In the case of a new venture, acquiring lean start up skills […]
Triggered by a couple of recent discussions, I’ve been pondering for a while now over the question how evolution relates to revolution when it comes to innovation. In the following, I’ll try to develop my view on this. Let’s define evolution as continuous and incremental innovations of a firm’s existing business. Whereas revolution can be […]
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Paul. Indeed, I think the concept delineate...
- Paul Hobcraft: Hi Ralph / Frank, Sounds like this "Areas of ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thank you Russell!...
- Russell: A great piece on innovation. We especially believe...
- Digile Ltd: When we did the innovation model before, scaling i...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Liselotte Engstam: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Digoshen: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Firoz Shroff: Gentlemen, Grateful to all of you for sharing th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your Feedback and in-depth comment, Dav...
- David Johnston: Ralph: Really good stuff -- thanks for putting ...
- RT @eugeneivanov101: Experts excel at refining existing products but can miss breakthrough #innovation when they see one. https://t.co/7q0P… 2 hours ago retweeted via eugeneivanov101
- Critical "upgrade" of the original @McKinsey 3H framework. #innovation #strategy https://t.co/DmIqybyAwF 5 hours ago
- @Open_Sourcing Thank you, Maha! 7 hours ago
- RT @InnovationFixer: Four Models of Intrapreneurship Innovation - good post from @ralph_ohr https://t.co/MjHi51yXUX #innovation 9 hours ago retweeted via InnovationFixer
- The Imperative and Challenges of Corporate Transformation - via @jhagel @harikiranv #innovation #strategy… https://t.co/zI5UtmZdIS 11 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)