Once in a while you run into ideas which are refreshingly thought-provoking, while at the same time seeming to be resonating with your own view. This holds for the key statements in “Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries”, a worthwile new book by theoretical physicist and […]
Tag Archives | Organizational Design
A new research report from Accenture, titled “Rethink, Reinvent, Realize. How to successfully scale digital innovation to drive growth” is hot off the press. It highlights the following key takeaways: Only 22% of large organizations are successfully scaling digital innovation proof of concepts (PoCs) to drive growth. Those ‘Champions’ enjoy up to 9.9% return on […]
In the light of increasing demand for self-organization and organizational agility, there is a lot of discussion around centralizing vs. decentralizing ownership and decision-making – in particular when it comes to corporate innovation. Therefore, it might be useful to get back to ‘basics’, which have been well outlined by Hermann Vantrappen and Frederic Wirtz in […]
This is the first part of a two-part lead article, co-written with Frank Mattes. The – in the truest sense of words – ‘billion-dollar-question’ we are addressing is: How can companies generate more business impact from non-incremental innovation? The solution to this question lies in the middle part of an end-to-end process for non-incremental innovation. […]
For several reasons, such as disruptive threats, digitalization or blurring industry boundaries, established companies are increasingly forced to create new business opportunities, i.e. to come up with adapted or even entirely new business models. Moreover, developing a ‘business model innovation capability‘ seems particularly vital in the light of ever decreasing life cycles. Shrinking life times of established business models are tied to the fact that […]
This ‘opinion’ on the question “What can startups and incumbents learn from each other and what are the biggest threats?” was originally published at innoboard.de. In recent years, an increasing intensity in collaboration between incumbent companies and startups has been observed. Meanwhile, close to 80% of corporations and startups have already been or are […]
This article was co-written with Frank Mattes. As published in a recent post, we have initiated a Peer Group of leading European companies which share our view that Best Practices with respect to scaling up validated concepts (successfully emerging from the “Fuzzy Front End”) to business impact need to be in place to sustainably […]
Research shows that growth fueled through organic innovation is more profitable than growth driven by acquisition, in part because the organizational capability required is vastly different. But the litmus test is: How can established organizations build successful new businesses through corporate entrepreneurship, also referred to as Intrapreneurship, on an ongoing basis? This is also one of the key questions that […]
This article was co-written with Frank Mattes from Dual Innovation and innovation-3. The race is on for companies to find big, explorative or even “disruptive” innovation ideas. ‘Disrupt yourself or someone else will’, it has been said. Almost every company shifts into overdrive to create ‘smart’ products, to turn a product business into a […]
As we have suggested earlier, innovation activities that are radical or disruptive in nature, should be separated from incremental innovation around a company’s established core business. The main reasons are: Required capabilities, structures, approaches, success metrics and culture for radical/disruptive innovation are highly incompatible with those required for incremental innovation. Radical/disruptive innovation activities need full-time resources to get executed properly and time-efficiently. However, separation is a […]
- Innovation Follows Culture Follows Structure April 3, 2019
- Digital Innovation and Scaling-Up April 2, 2019
- Centralizing vs. Decentralizing Innovation March 14, 2019
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Marek Stepan: The strength of the situtational forces was the ma...
- Intrapreneur vs Entrepreneur – Characteristics, Examples and Definitions | Success Unscrambled: […] June 2017, Ralph-Christian Ohr wrote abo...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] we have pointed out in a previous post, ...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] One is for sure – and this comes ...
- Five Blogs – 29 October 2018 – 5blogs: […] Innovation is About Getting Beyond the I...
- Increasingly Digital World-Learn Corporate Executive Lena Danielsson: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment and sharing, Jesse - and s...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Lena - likewise! Great lineup and insightfu...
- Lena Andrushchenko: Such a great article! Great you are writing about ...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – tri.cash crypto news: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Die 6 besten Digital Labs großer Unternehmen - @CIOredaktion Wesentliche Charakteristik erfolgreicher Innovations… https://t.co/eJyfirAUtC 1 day ago
- Can You Say What Your R&D Strategy Is? Key question: How will you sync business and R&D? #innovation #strategy… https://t.co/uWe2MSMuzG 1 day ago
- Interesting: The Big Leap Toward #AI at Scale - @BCG https://t.co/6A3zjS4jzl #innovation #technology #orgdev… https://t.co/aKQOgqDSGL 2 days ago
- Dieser @faznet Beitrag macht deutlich: Das Thema Dual Innovation / Ambidextrie (der Autor nennt es "Gleichzeitigkei… https://t.co/S9EHUGb4da 2 days ago
- KfW-Studie: Nur noch wenige Deutsche wollen ein eigenes Unternehmen gründen https://t.co/IdwxHRZ81R #entrepreneurship #innovation 2 days ago