Here is a chart, shown by Scott Anthony from Innosight during a worthwile talk on ‘Dual Transformation’ in July this year. It puts in a nutshell what he refers to as the “hardest challenge in business today”: Simultaneously strengthening today’s business while creating tomorrow’s. The chart greatly captures the fact that dual transformation involves three distinct playing fields: Transformation A: Strengthen Today […]
Tag Archives | Innovation Management
More than three years ago, we noticed a pain point in corporate innovation: How should companies balance the different requirements in searching for tomorrow’s business and in running today’s business? We wrote a well-received article series urging the need for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. implementing dual corporate innovation structures. First important steps have been taken Our […]
The first time I was advocating the idea of a dual innovation approach, here also referred to as organizational ambidexterity, is now more than 5 years ago. At this time it became pretty obvious to me that this concept – academically worn-out but deficiently or not at all put into practice in most organizations – would be of increasing importance […]
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
For quite some time, I’ve been advocating the idea that successful and sustainable corporate innovation management systems should be based on the following cornerstones: Organizational ambidexterity: Sustainable innovation management is required to account for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. optimizing existing businesses and developing new businesses have to be driven in parallel. Failing to achieve an individually optimal balance will not lead to company success in the short and long […]
Yesterday, I was quite delighted to see my post Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking ranked #11 of the Top 100 Innovation Posts 2014 at Innovation Excellence. Once again, I was pondering why this post has been by far the most resonating one I’ve written up to now. My conclusion: many of us are aware that innovation tools, even up-to-date ones, have a limited scope […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
This is part three of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. The first part highlighted that radical and incremental innovation build on two different innovation set-ups (exploration and exploitation, respect. The second part showed in a sample of seven leading firms that ambidexterity is used in two main types – contextual and structural ambidexterity. […]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to […]
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Paul. Indeed, I think the concept delineate...
- Paul Hobcraft: Hi Ralph / Frank, Sounds like this "Areas of ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thank you Russell!...
- Russell: A great piece on innovation. We especially believe...
- Digile Ltd: When we did the innovation model before, scaling i...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Liselotte Engstam: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Digoshen: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Firoz Shroff: Gentlemen, Grateful to all of you for sharing th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your Feedback and in-depth comment, Dav...
- David Johnston: Ralph: Really good stuff -- thanks for putting ...
- RT @KaizenLeanSigma: Aligning Organizations for Digital Innovation #DigitalTransformation #DigitalCulture https://t.co/teGJaYIyY1 https://t… 9 hours ago retweeted via KaizenLeanSigma
- RT @SquadsHQ: Future-proof Your Innovation Management: Dual #Innovation https://t.co/w08lIIg7nx via @ralph_ohr https://t.co/TOlPAsNBtw 9 hours ago retweeted via SquadsHQ
- Future-proof Your #Innovation Management: Dual Innovation https://t.co/giq364mKOL #strategy #orgdesign #leadership… https://t.co/5jgUXtHYU8 18 hours ago
- RT @sgblank: The Red Queen Problem – Innovation in the DoD and Intelligence Community https://t.co/doBbPfiyP7 https://t.co/6qBOmb2OSK 19 hours ago retweeted via sgblank
- Scaling Startups in Corporate Settings - my "opinion" at @inno_board https://t.co/S1cc9akLdX #innovation #strategy #orgdesign #scaleup 19 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)