This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
Tag Archives | Innovation Management
To understand the challenges and opportunities associated with digitalization, MIT Sloan Management Review and Deloitte surveyed more than 3,700 business executives, managers, and analysts from organizations around the world. They have recently published their findings in a report, titled “Aligning the Organization for Its Digital Future“. Some key outcomes (quoted and depicted in an infographic) as well […]
First of all, Frank Mattes and I would like to wish you all the best for 2017 – we hope you’ve been starting successfully and innovatively into this new year. Last September, Frank and I launched a new initiative „SCALING UP: From Corporate Startup to Innovation Impact“. We have been overwhelmed by the huge resonance […]
Bain and Company has just published a worthwile article, debating on the question: What will the firm of the future look like? Among several characteristics, the authors also particularly anticipate future-proof companies to be required to manage two types of businesses by deploying distinct “engines”: Companies have always pursued innovation in their core business. Clayton Christensen has called […]
Here is a chart, shown by Scott Anthony from Innosight during a worthwile talk on ‘Dual Transformation’ in July this year. It puts in a nutshell what he refers to as the “hardest challenge in business today”: Simultaneously strengthening today’s business while creating tomorrow’s. The chart greatly captures the fact that dual transformation involves three distinct playing fields: Transformation A: Strengthen Today […]
More than three years ago, we noticed a pain point in corporate innovation: How should companies balance the different requirements in searching for tomorrow’s business and in running today’s business? We wrote a well-received article series urging the need for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. implementing dual corporate innovation structures. First important steps have been taken Our […]
The first time I was advocating the idea of a dual innovation approach, here also referred to as organizational ambidexterity, is now more than 5 years ago. At this time it became pretty obvious to me that this concept – academically worn-out but deficiently or not at all put into practice in most organizations – would be of increasing importance […]
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
For quite some time, I’ve been advocating the idea that successful and sustainable corporate innovation management systems should be based on the following cornerstones: Organizational ambidexterity: Sustainable innovation management is required to account for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. optimizing existing businesses and developing new businesses have to be driven in parallel. Failing to achieve an individually optimal balance will not lead to company success in the short and long […]
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Didier Lebouc: I have always doubts about measuring something whi...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Paul. Indeed, I think the concept delineate...
- Paul Hobcraft: Hi Ralph / Frank, Sounds like this "Areas of ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thank you Russell!...
- Russell: A great piece on innovation. We especially believe...
- Digile Ltd: When we did the innovation model before, scaling i...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Liselotte Engstam: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Digoshen: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Firoz Shroff: Gentlemen, Grateful to all of you for sharing th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your Feedback and in-depth comment, Dav...
- [Open #Innovation Case] Boeing Partners With El Al Venture Fund Cockpit Innovation https://t.co/Icb36mW6so… https://t.co/qQ7GBmsGSO 12 hours ago
- "2% Companies" Excel at Exploration and Exploitation. - @MartinKReeves & Knut Haanaes Their major traits: - Excell… https://t.co/V0A5JMksZ3 2 days ago
- "Studies have shown that humans are notoriously bad at multitasking. So having people divert 5%, 10%, or 20% of the… https://t.co/9hKP251iyF 2 days ago
- #Innovation and transformation starts from the top. #leadership #digitaltransformation https://t.co/klfNno8HUA 2 days ago
- Interesting post by @stratechery: The Aggregator Paradox https://t.co/ygOFrloDh9 #innovation #strategy 3 days ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)