In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
Tag Archives | Experimentation
Recently, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) has published key findings of their latest “Most Innovative Companies 2014” survey. Beside the annual ranking, headed by the top three companies Apple, Google and Samsung, some insightful outcomes with regard to organizational and cultural requirements have striked my eye. According to BCG’s research, successfully innovating companies approach innovation as a system. The system is rooted in experimentation, […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to […]
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act […]
This post was co-written with Tim Kastelle from Innovation for Growth. What are the key innovation issues facing the business community right now? When we met up in person recently we had a great talk about this question. We’ve continued the discussion over email, and these are the four innovation management issues that we […]
This is the second part of a post co-written with Thierry De Baillon from Sonnez en cas d’absence. Read the first part here. A striking change of focus in the social business arena occurred during the last five years. Despite the fact that Andrew McAfee’s original definition specified its scope as «within companies, or between companies and […]
This is the first part of a post co-written with Thierry De Baillon from Sonnez en cas d’absence. Read the second part here. We live in an age where emergent technologies continue to have massive effects on business and society. Rising complexity requires companies and economies to cope with increasingly interlocking systems. If we […]
In one of my previous posts I discussed the crucial distinction between need and solution. Innovation is about matching these two components – i.e. solving a customer problem (desirability) through a viable business model, leveraging feasible products and services – in a novel way. It’s important to note that solutions are not represented by products […]
One of my main interests is looking at the intersection of organizational and human capabilities. Business is accomplished through people, thus individual mindset, behavior and capabilities determine organizational performance. When it comes to innovation, a recently published research paper, titled ‘The Bias Against Creativity’ serves as a good example. The findings indicate a paradox that […]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Henry: Explorers outperform exploiters in the long run. ...
- Henry: So true. I actually work in a tech start-up that ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment! In fact, th...
- Kevin McFarthing: Hi Ralph - a very good article. It seems to me th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Terrific comment - thanks, Joachim! I'm fully wit...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Graham....
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Maarten - I agree with your points made....
- Maarten Korz: This is all about ambidextarity. Engine 1: exploit...
- Graham Douglas: People will need to apply Integrative Thinking whi...
- joachim von heimburg: I fully agree. The business world has gone VUCA (v...
- RT @engageinnovate: The Trinity of Dual Innovation and Transformation | Integrative Innovation https://t.co/JYZE9MKg5B 12 hours ago retweeted via engageinnovate
- RT @ITFOU: Scaling Innovation #Ventures https://t.co/4llEiLXtum 12 hours ago retweeted via ITFOU
- Great post from @eugeneivanov101: Building Your #Innovation “Dream Team” https://t.co/w4despRuv7 14 hours ago
- Good post on the human side of #innovation: Profiling Enterprise Innovators https://t.co/CUa5DYiUXm 16 hours ago
- "Adopt a Both/And Performance Mindset": Four Ways CEOs Can Conquer Short-Termism https://t.co/OCrkTwiLht #leadership #strategy 19 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)