The notion of Agile seems to be on everybody’s lips these days. Studies have proven agile companies to generate above-average margins and revenues up to five times more often boost average innovation success rates to 39% from 11%, in complex projects even up to six times that of conventional approaches But what actually is Agile Innovation? Bain captures the essence in a […]
Tag Archives | Experimentation
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
Recently, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) has published key findings of their latest “Most Innovative Companies 2014” survey. Beside the annual ranking, headed by the top three companies Apple, Google and Samsung, some insightful outcomes with regard to organizational and cultural requirements have striked my eye. According to BCG’s research, successfully innovating companies approach innovation as a system. The system is rooted in experimentation, […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
This is part two of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The first part can be found here. In our previous post, we discussed how Strategic Portfolio Management (SPM) ensures that the content of the portfolio is driven by innovation strategy and associated targets. We would now like to move on to […]
This is part one of a two-parts article co-written with Kevin McFarthing from Innovation Fixer. The second part can be found here. Facing increasingly dynamic and unpredictable environments, firms are required to develop convenient innovation strategies, constantly adapt them to changing conditions and properly implement strategically-aligned initiatives throughout their organizations. Innovation portfolio management (IPM) can act […]
This post was co-written with Tim Kastelle from Innovation for Growth. What are the key innovation issues facing the business community right now? When we met up in person recently we had a great talk about this question. We’ve continued the discussion over email, and these are the four innovation management issues that we […]
This is the second part of a post co-written with Thierry De Baillon from Sonnez en cas d’absence. Read the first part here. A striking change of focus in the social business arena occurred during the last five years. Despite the fact that Andrew McAfee’s original definition specified its scope as «within companies, or between companies and […]
This is the first part of a post co-written with Thierry De Baillon from Sonnez en cas d’absence. Read the second part here. We live in an age where emergent technologies continue to have massive effects on business and society. Rising complexity requires companies and economies to cope with increasingly interlocking systems. If we […]
In one of my previous posts I discussed the crucial distinction between need and solution. Innovation is about matching these two components – i.e. solving a customer problem (desirability) through a viable business model, leveraging feasible products and services – in a novel way. It’s important to note that solutions are not represented by products […]
- Venturing Activities in Corporate Innovation: Types, Features and Success Factors August 4, 2018
- Dual Innovation Ecosystem Strategy: Broker vs. Orchestrator August 3, 2018
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation March 9, 2018
- Digital Transformation Combines Customer Experience and Operational Efficiency December 13, 2017
- Identifying and Implementing Innovation Measures December 13, 2017
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks - good to hear it's useful for you!...
- Omar Enrique Jimenez: Very good article...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Glad it's useful, Maisoun....
- Maisoun: Thanks for your effort...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Good to hear you find it useful, Paul....
- Paul Hobcraft: Nice pulling together of all the thoughts around c...
- Jurij: These days the importance of startup and corporati...
- Novas Formas de Engajamento entre Corporações e Startups 🚀 – Blog do Nei: […] Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation [...
- Bruce Starcher: Ralph, First let me say that this is a great ar...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks a bunch, Saul - it's good to hear you shar...
- Dead on and thought-provoking from @petervan: #Innovation Apes**t https://t.co/2k61dzbRAN [essentially underpinning… https://t.co/tilhO25Uf1 9 hours ago
- Thanks for the shoutout, Tim - much appreciated! It's encouraging to see companies increasingly adopting the… https://t.co/Zcebwn9liW 11 hours ago
- Great model case for 'Dual Innovation': @AlibabaGroup keeps two engines firing on all cylinders… https://t.co/xyTH8dLMc3 19 hours ago
- Key trade-off to corporate #innovation: Separating the venture adequately to secure critical autonomy and protectio… https://t.co/lLHxvBrRVZ 1 day ago
- Separation vs. Integration - which strategy to pursue for scaling up new business models? My post outlines on the b… https://t.co/fiqY0UifT4 1 day ago