Bain and Company has just published a worthwile article, debating on the question: What will the firm of the future look like? Among several characteristics, the authors also particularly anticipate future-proof companies to be required to manage two types of businesses by deploying distinct “engines”: Companies have always pursued innovation in their core business. Clayton Christensen has called […]
Tag Archives | Ecosystem
Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
As pointed out in a recent post, teaming up with startups provides an opportunity for established firms to drive innovation without risking major interference with their core businesses. Particularly, with regard to radical or disruptive innovation, investing in startup incubators, accelerators or corporate venturing increases the chance to get access to promising novel technologies and business models. On the other […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
Among others, Tim Kastelle (here and here) and Paul Hobcraft (here and here) have recently highlighted the increasing importance of business model innovation. A newly published report from the IBM Institute for Business Value confirms this point, the need for balanced innovation portfolios and some other key issues being outlined in a previous post. I’d like to summarize the main results […]
In a previous post, I have pointed out the importance of diversity for innovation and organizational adaptability. Diversity is a crucial precursor to serendipity. In the Power of Pull, John Hagel, John Seely Brown and Lang Davison emphasize the rising need for serendipity: We need to find ways to attract relevant innovators and edge participants […]
In my previous post I have stressed why an integrative approach to sustainable innovation management seems increasingly important to me. The main reason is, that modern organizations range in an environment of various tensions and continuous complexity. This situation requires structures, strategies and cultures to be in place that support dynamic balancing of opposing and complementary elements in the innovation process. Recently, […]
Some people I’ve been collaborating with have recently encouraged me to open up an own blog. After having given it some thought, I decided to do so. I’m launching a new site and platform titled “Integrative Innovation” to share ideas and perspectives on innovation. You might ask: why “Integrative Innovation”? Is this yet another buzzword? I don’t think so. I rather […]
Sustainable innovation requires evolution and revolution. Over the long term, organizations need to be capable of both moving along existing growth trajectories and creating new ones when the old business matures or stalls. This can be depicted as recurring movement along innovation s-curves. In the case of a new venture, acquiring lean start up skills […]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Henry: Explorers outperform exploiters in the long run. ...
- Henry: So true. I actually work in a tech start-up that ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment! In fact, th...
- Kevin McFarthing: Hi Ralph - a very good article. It seems to me th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Terrific comment - thanks, Joachim! I'm fully wit...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Graham....
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Maarten - I agree with your points made....
- Maarten Korz: This is all about ambidextarity. Engine 1: exploit...
- Graham Douglas: People will need to apply Integrative Thinking whi...
- joachim von heimburg: I fully agree. The business world has gone VUCA (v...
- RT @engageinnovate: The Trinity of Dual Innovation and Transformation | Integrative Innovation https://t.co/JYZE9MKg5B 12 hours ago retweeted via engageinnovate
- RT @ITFOU: Scaling Innovation #Ventures https://t.co/4llEiLXtum 12 hours ago retweeted via ITFOU
- Great post from @eugeneivanov101: Building Your #Innovation “Dream Team” https://t.co/w4despRuv7 14 hours ago
- Good post on the human side of #innovation: Profiling Enterprise Innovators https://t.co/CUa5DYiUXm 16 hours ago
- "Adopt a Both/And Performance Mindset": Four Ways CEOs Can Conquer Short-Termism https://t.co/OCrkTwiLht #leadership #strategy 19 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)