One issue has been on my mind for quite some time. Let me share with you a key learning from my innovation work in and with diverse companies over the years. It can be termed pretty catchy as: Window of Corporate Opportunity. In brief, this notion can be delineated as follows: Sustainable, effective and impactful […]
Tag Archives | Corporate Innovation
A new research report from Accenture, titled “Rethink, Reinvent, Realize. How to successfully scale digital innovation to drive growth” is hot off the press. It highlights the following key takeaways: Only 22% of large organizations are successfully scaling digital innovation proof of concepts (PoCs) to drive growth. Those ‘Champions’ enjoy up to 9.9% return on […]
This is the first part of a two-part lead article, co-written with Frank Mattes. The – in the truest sense of words – ‘billion-dollar-question’ we are addressing is: How can companies generate more business impact from non-incremental innovation? The solution to this question lies in the middle part of an end-to-end process for non-incremental innovation. […]
The business magazine Capital and Infront Consulting recently published their second joint annual study (in German only) on the Digital Innovation Unit landscape in Germany. The study analyzed the units in terms of set objectives and their achievements, as well as of the following success criteria: Steering Themes / direction of impact Involvement of the company Methods / program […]
Thomas Edison said it over a century ago: Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration. Unfortunately, no one listened. When companies launch innovation initiatives, they typically allot almost all of their time and energy to that initial 1 percent – the thrilling hunt for the breakthrough idea. The real innovation challenge, however, lies beyond […]
Corporate Venturing, i.e. corporate engagement in external and internal ventures, plays an evermore critical role in fueling the innovation engine of larger companies. Most of those activities have a non-incremental innovation focus in nature, commonly targeted at bringing about radical, yet sustaining opportunities to adapt/extend the current core business (e.g. digitalizing products, services or operating models) exploring novel disruptive opportunities (e.g. technologies, business models […]
For several reasons, such as disruptive threats, digitalization or blurring industry boundaries, established companies are increasingly forced to create new business opportunities, i.e. to come up with adapted or even entirely new business models. Moreover, developing a ‘business model innovation capability‘ seems particularly vital in the light of ever decreasing life cycles. Shrinking life times of established business models are tied to the fact that […]
In 2015 and 2017, research by Peter Weill and Stephanie L. Woerner surveyed several hundred enterprises, examining both the capabilities needed for digital business transformation and the impacts on performance. Becoming ‘future-ready’ requires changing the enterprise on two dimensions: Customer experience and operational efficiency. [Update 09.08.18] Indeed, this chosen pair of dimensions turns out to be highly […]
For most companies, innovation has become a top priority. To rate innovation performance, quantitative performance indicators are often used. Some lagging indicators measure innovation as results or outcomes – such as sales from new products. Others measure innovation as a process, using metrics – such as the number of innovation projects in progress. And some leading indicators track input measures such as the number of […]
Dual approaches are evermore finding their way into corporate strategy, development and innovation. There are several manifestations at play, such as Organizational Ambidexterity: Drawing on Tushman/O’Reilly, an ambidextrous approach is deployed if a venture is of high strategic relevance and its synergies with core business are high, therefore suggesting a strong leverage of core assets and capbilities as well as an ultimate integration into core business […]
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Marek Stepan: The strength of the situtational forces was the ma...
- Intrapreneur vs Entrepreneur – Characteristics, Examples and Definitions | Success Unscrambled: […] June 2017, Ralph-Christian Ohr wrote abo...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] we have pointed out in a previous post, ...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] One is for sure – and this comes ...
- Five Blogs – 29 October 2018 – 5blogs: […] Innovation is About Getting Beyond the I...
- Increasingly Digital World-Learn Corporate Executive Lena Danielsson: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment and sharing, Jesse - and s...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Lena - likewise! Great lineup and insightfu...
- Lena Andrushchenko: Such a great article! Great you are writing about ...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – tri.cash crypto news: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- RT @tomfishburne: “Evolution of New Products” - new cartoon and post on breakthrough versus incremental innovation https://t.co/8y5bkXpsqS… 4 hours ago retweeted via tomfishburne
- Amen. Decisive Q to be addressed: How? https://t.co/6X2VKJJoZ6 4 hours ago
- How can we sync ambitious aspirations with maintaining our business-as-usual which funds these innovative and profi… https://t.co/4ud01hHjRT 1 day ago
- The potential dark side of #teamwork: it improves the organisation's overall performance, but leads to stress and f… https://t.co/I3f5EtDQRv 2 days ago
- Congrats Bill - well deserved! https://t.co/385hnvu7jH 2 days ago