In 2015 and 2017, research by Peter Weill and Stephanie L. Woerner surveyed several hundred enterprises, examining both the capabilities needed for digital business transformation and the impacts on performance. Becoming ‘future-ready’ requires changing the enterprise on two dimensions – customer experience and operational efficiency. By the underlying criteria, 23% of the businesses surveyed were future-ready, shown in the […]
Tag Archives | Corporate Innovation
For most companies, innovation has become a top priority. To rate innovation performance, quantitative performance indicators are often used. Some lagging indicators measure innovation as results or outcomes – such as sales from new products. Others measure innovation as a process, using metrics – such as the number of innovation projects in progress. And some leading indicators track input measures such as the number of […]
Dual approaches are evermore finding their way into corporate strategy, development and innovation. There are several manifestations at play, such as Organizational Ambidexterity: Drawing on Tushman/O’Reilly, an ambidextrous approach is deployed if a venture is of high strategic relevance and its synergies with core business are high, therefore suggesting a strong leverage of core assets and capbilities as well as an ultimate integration into core business […]
This ‘opinion’ on the question “What can startups and incumbents learn from each other and what are the biggest threats?” was originally published at innoboard.de. In recent years, an increasing intensity in collaboration between incumbent companies and startups has been observed. Meanwhile, close to 80% of corporations and startups have already been or are […]
This article was co-written with Frank Mattes. Being among the pioneers (see e.g. here or here) in making the case that dual approaches to modern corporate innovation are mandatory for innovation impact, we have recently been delighted about two things: First, more and more companies are appreciating our arguments as the following data suggest […]
If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you may know we’ve been relentlessly highlighting the importance of organizational ambidexterity as vital requirement for modern dual corporate innovation approaches. Managing today’s business and creating future’s business successfully at the same time is probably the most demanding, yet indispensable challenge for future-proof organizations and their leaders. But what are hallmarks of successful organizational ambidexterity? What do […]
Research shows that growth fueled through organic innovation is more profitable than growth driven by acquisition, in part because the organizational capability required is vastly different. But the litmus test is: How can established organizations build successful new businesses through corporate entrepreneurship, also referred to as Intrapreneurship, on an ongoing basis? This is also one of the key questions that […]
This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
W. Edwards Deming once famously stated: A bad system will beat a good person every time. What was Deming trying to convey with this quote? It wasn’t an attempt to get people to give up trying because failure was certain. It was an attempt to get people to understand the importance of the system and […]
Bain and Company has just published a worthwile article, debating on the question: What will the firm of the future look like? Among several characteristics, the authors also particularly anticipate future-proof companies to be required to manage two types of businesses by deploying distinct “engines”: Companies have always pursued innovation in their core business. Clayton Christensen has called […]
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Paul. Indeed, I think the concept delineate...
- Paul Hobcraft: Hi Ralph / Frank, Sounds like this "Areas of ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thank you Russell!...
- Russell: A great piece on innovation. We especially believe...
- Digile Ltd: When we did the innovation model before, scaling i...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Liselotte Engstam: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Learn from Corporate #Innovation Executive Lena Danielsson at The Absolut Company - Digoshen: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Firoz Shroff: Gentlemen, Grateful to all of you for sharing th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your Feedback and in-depth comment, Dav...
- David Johnston: Ralph: Really good stuff -- thanks for putting ...
- The Case for Leadership #Diversity in Companies: - Executive diversity is linked to superior financial performance… https://t.co/lfp3Jxqs9F 10 hours ago
- Workforce #diversity is linked to innovation performance - one of my older posts: https://t.co/tnSikZ85JO… https://t.co/zrfTxUZ2bs 10 hours ago
- Corporate-Start-ups fördern Innovationen - @ComMagazin https://t.co/ZOvjCLDgqD #innovation #intrapreneurship 19 hours ago
- Congrats @Siemens and thank you Patrick! https://t.co/fHGr0wtQ6k 1 day ago
- Great post by @ashmaurya: A Lean Canvas is NOT Enough to Replace a Business Plan https://t.co/bY0P4oqC9c… https://t.co/l0u2VGpJCh 2 days ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)