In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
For quite some time, I’ve been advocating the idea that successful and sustainable corporate innovation management systems should be based on the following cornerstones: Organizational ambidexterity: Sustainable innovation management is required to account for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. optimizing existing businesses and developing new businesses have to be driven in parallel. Failing to achieve an individually optimal balance will not lead to company success in the short and long […]
As we have suggested earlier, innovation activities that are radical or disruptive in nature, should be separated from incremental innovation around a company’s established core business. The main reasons are: Required capabilities, structures, approaches, success metrics and culture for radical/disruptive innovation are highly incompatible with those required for incremental innovation. Radical/disruptive innovation activities need full-time resources to get executed properly and time-efficiently. However, separation is a […]
Recently, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) has published key findings of their latest “Most Innovative Companies 2014” survey. Beside the annual ranking, headed by the top three companies Apple, Google and Samsung, some insightful outcomes with regard to organizational and cultural requirements have striked my eye. According to BCG’s research, successfully innovating companies approach innovation as a system. The system is rooted in experimentation, […]
Yesterday, I was quite delighted to see my post Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking ranked #11 of the Top 100 Innovation Posts 2014 at Innovation Excellence. Once again, I was pondering why this post has been by far the most resonating one I’ve written up to now. My conclusion: many of us are aware that innovation tools, even up-to-date ones, have a limited scope […]
(amended, 2015-05-03) Business model innovation (BMI) is becoming ever more important as it turns out increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate based on products and services alone. New business models are difficult for competitors to copy, not only because it takes considerable time and effort to build a new business model and simultaneously change several elements of an existing one, respectively. Moreover, a […]
This is part three of a three-parts article co-written with innovation-3‘s Frank Mattes. The first part highlighted that radical and incremental innovation build on two different innovation set-ups (exploration and exploitation, respect. The second part showed in a sample of seven leading firms that ambidexterity is used in two main types – contextual and structural ambidexterity. In […]
As pointed out in a recent post, teaming up with startups provides an opportunity for established firms to drive innovation without risking major interference with their core businesses. Particularly, with regard to radical or disruptive innovation, investing in startup incubators, accelerators or corporate venturing increases the chance to get access to promising novel technologies and business models. On the other […]
There is a lot of dicussion around how customer orientation effects innovation. The most extreme assertion is to “ignore the customer” in order to not becoming distracted from true innovativeness by getting too close to customers, limiting innovation to incremental new offerings. A research paper by V. Govindarajan, P. K. Kopalle and E. Danneels studies the effects of customer […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Part 1: Strategic Portfolio Management September 21, 2013
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Henry: Explorers outperform exploiters in the long run. ...
- Henry: So true. I actually work in a tech start-up that ...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment! In fact, th...
- Kevin McFarthing: Hi Ralph - a very good article. It seems to me th...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Terrific comment - thanks, Joachim! I'm fully wit...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Graham....
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Maarten - I agree with your points made....
- Maarten Korz: This is all about ambidextarity. Engine 1: exploit...
- Graham Douglas: People will need to apply Integrative Thinking whi...
- joachim von heimburg: I fully agree. The business world has gone VUCA (v...
- RT @engageinnovate: The Trinity of Dual Innovation and Transformation | Integrative Innovation https://t.co/JYZE9MKg5B 12 hours ago retweeted via engageinnovate
- RT @ITFOU: Scaling Innovation #Ventures https://t.co/4llEiLXtum 12 hours ago retweeted via ITFOU
- Great post from @eugeneivanov101: Building Your #Innovation “Dream Team” https://t.co/w4despRuv7 14 hours ago
- Good post on the human side of #innovation: Profiling Enterprise Innovators https://t.co/CUa5DYiUXm 16 hours ago
- "Adopt a Both/And Performance Mindset": Four Ways CEOs Can Conquer Short-Termism https://t.co/OCrkTwiLht #leadership #strategy 19 hours ago
Recommended Blogs and Sites
- The Discipline of Innovation
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger
- The Corporate Innovation Blog
- Innovate on Purpose
- Paul4innovating's Blog
- Game Changer
- Innovation Observer
- It's Saul Connected
- Sonnez en cas d’absence
- Innovation Excellence
- Innovation Fixer
- Innovation Management
- Steve Blank
- Yes & Know
- MIT Technology Review
- Strategyzer Blog
- Andrew Hargadon
- Working Knowledge
- HBR Blog Network
- MIT Sloan Management Review
- ISEIC Blog
- Business Model Innovation
- I'm Not Actually a Geek
- Startup Lessons Learned
- Ash Maurya - Practice Trumps Theory
- Harold Jarche
- Rapid Innovation in Digital Time
- Business Model Innovation
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Inknowaktion (german / deutsch)