This is the first part of a two-part lead article, co-written with Frank Mattes. The – in the truest sense of words – ‘billion-dollar-question’ we are addressing is: How can companies generate more business impact from non-incremental innovation? The solution to this question lies in the middle part of an end-to-end process for non-incremental innovation. […]
Tag Archives | Radical Innovation
The business magazine Capital and Infront Consulting recently published their second joint annual study (in German only) on the Digital Innovation Unit landscape in Germany. The study analyzed the units in terms of set objectives and their achievements, as well as of the following success criteria: Steering Themes / direction of impact Involvement of the company Methods / program […]
Thomas Edison said it over a century ago: Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration. Unfortunately, no one listened. When companies launch innovation initiatives, they typically allot almost all of their time and energy to that initial 1 percent – the thrilling hunt for the breakthrough idea. The real innovation challenge, however, lies beyond […]
Corporate Venturing, i.e. corporate engagement in external and internal ventures, plays an evermore critical role in fueling the innovation engine of larger companies. Most of those activities have a non-incremental innovation focus in nature, commonly targeted at bringing about radical, yet sustaining opportunities to adapt/extend the current core business (e.g. digitalizing products, services or operating models) exploring novel disruptive opportunities (e.g. technologies, business models […]
In 2015 and 2017, research by Peter Weill and Stephanie L. Woerner surveyed several hundred enterprises, examining both the capabilities needed for digital business transformation and the impacts on performance. Becoming ‘future-ready’ requires changing the enterprise on two dimensions: Customer experience and operational efficiency. [Update 09.08.18] Indeed, this chosen pair of dimensions turns out to be highly […]
This ‘opinion’ on the question “What can startups and incumbents learn from each other and what are the biggest threats?” was originally published at innoboard.de. In recent years, an increasing intensity in collaboration between incumbent companies and startups has been observed. Meanwhile, close to 80% of corporations and startups have already been or are […]
This article was co-written with Frank Mattes. Being among the pioneers (see e.g. here or here) in making the case that dual approaches to modern corporate innovation are mandatory for innovation impact, we have recently been delighted about two things: First, more and more companies are appreciating our arguments as the following data suggest […]
Research shows that growth fueled through organic innovation is more profitable than growth driven by acquisition, in part because the organizational capability required is vastly different. But the litmus test is: How can established organizations build successful new businesses through corporate entrepreneurship, also referred to as Intrapreneurship, on an ongoing basis? This is also one of the key questions that […]
This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- Innovation is About Getting Beyond the Idea September 2, 2018
- Venturing Activities in Corporate Innovation: Types, Features and Success Factors August 4, 2018
- Dual Innovation Ecosystem Strategy: Broker vs. Orchestrator August 3, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Jesse Nieminen: Thanks for sharing the book Ralph-Christian, seems...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – Innovation Excellence: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks - good to hear it's useful for you!...
- Omar Enrique Jimenez: Very good article...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Glad it's useful, Maisoun....
- Maisoun: Thanks for your effort...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Good to hear you find it useful, Paul....
- Paul Hobcraft: Nice pulling together of all the thoughts around c...
- Jurij: These days the importance of startup and corporati...
- Novas Formas de Engajamento entre Corporações e Startups 🚀 – Blog do Nei: […] Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation [...
- This thread is right on the mark! #innovation https://t.co/ALRyqe3JY3 12 hours ago
- RT @petervan: Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings https://t.co/Y3lpSXSJqo by @ralph_ohr 14 hours ago retweeted via petervan
- Great kick-off of our Peer Group 'Scaling-Up' 2018 in Berlin earlier this week - we are excited about further co-cr… https://t.co/DORNIlBRhE 14 hours ago
- We propose implementing a dedicated #Innovation Playing Field and Operating Model to 'Reshape the Core' - acting as… https://t.co/9d7bWaFRJS 16 hours ago
- RT @ITFOU: The art of “scaling your impact not your output”. Key challenges: Different #leadership style required and the lack of a busines… 17 hours ago retweeted via ITFOU