In the light of increasing demand for self-organization and organizational agility, there is a lot of discussion around centralizing vs. decentralizing ownership and decision-making – in particular when it comes to corporate innovation. Therefore, it might be useful to get back to ‘basics’, which have been well outlined by Hermann Vantrappen and Frederic Wirtz in […]
Tag Archives | Collaboration
Thomas Edison said it over a century ago: Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration. Unfortunately, no one listened. When companies launch innovation initiatives, they typically allot almost all of their time and energy to that initial 1 percent – the thrilling hunt for the breakthrough idea. The real innovation challenge, however, lies beyond […]
Corporate Venturing, i.e. corporate engagement in external and internal ventures, plays an evermore critical role in fueling the innovation engine of larger companies. Most of those activities have a non-incremental innovation focus in nature, commonly targeted at bringing about radical, yet sustaining opportunities to adapt/extend the current core business (e.g. digitalizing products, services or operating models) exploring novel disruptive opportunities (e.g. technologies, business models […]
Being faced with disruption and increasing pace of change, many established companies fail to keep up. They often turn out to be ill-prepared to innovate under uncertain and time-critical conditions. Rather than going it alone, some companies reach out to suitable partners with the aim to build up innovation ecosystems that complement the companies’ capabilities, competences and strategies. A decisive question is: What types of ecosystems […]
The notion of Agile seems to be on everybody’s lips these days. Studies have proven agile companies to generate above-average margins and revenues up to five times more often boost average innovation success rates to 39% from 11%, in complex projects even up to six times that of conventional approaches But what actually is Agile Innovation? Bain captures the essence in a […]
Research shows that growth fueled through organic innovation is more profitable than growth driven by acquisition, in part because the organizational capability required is vastly different. But the litmus test is: How can established organizations build successful new businesses through corporate entrepreneurship, also referred to as Intrapreneurship, on an ongoing basis? This is also one of the key questions that […]
This is an excerpt of a post of mine, recently published at Haydn Shaugnessy’s journal “Hack & Craft”. Modern Dual Corporate Innovation Management approaches encompass two complementary directions of impact: Transforming the Core (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing operating model) Creating the New (by largely changing or even disrupting the existing business model) With […]
To understand the challenges and opportunities associated with digitalization, MIT Sloan Management Review and Deloitte surveyed more than 3,700 business executives, managers, and analysts from organizations around the world. They have recently published their findings in a report, titled “Aligning the Organization for Its Digital Future“. Some key outcomes (quoted and depicted in an infographic) as well […]
In previous posts, I have shared my view on important cornerstones for successful innovation management systems. As pointed out several times, balanced and up-to-date innovation management requires organizational ambidexterity, i.e. the capability to explore novel offerings and capabilities while simultaneously exploiting existing ones. In the following, I would like to summarize and complement these thoughts by suggesting an innovation management model that may help organizations to innovate more […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
- Innovation Follows Culture Follows Structure April 3, 2019
- Digital Innovation and Scaling-Up April 2, 2019
- Centralizing vs. Decentralizing Innovation March 14, 2019
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Marek Stepan: The strength of the situtational forces was the ma...
- Intrapreneur vs Entrepreneur – Characteristics, Examples and Definitions | Success Unscrambled: […] June 2017, Ralph-Christian Ohr wrote abo...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] we have pointed out in a previous post, ...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] One is for sure – and this comes ...
- Five Blogs – 29 October 2018 – 5blogs: […] Innovation is About Getting Beyond the I...
- Increasingly Digital World-Learn Corporate Executive Lena Danielsson: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment and sharing, Jesse - and s...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Lena - likewise! Great lineup and insightfu...
- Lena Andrushchenko: Such a great article! Great you are writing about ...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – tri.cash crypto news: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- RT @chiefmartec: Want to innovate like Amazon? Here's their formula https://t.co/eD6AAzLJVx #MarTech https://t.co/DUV4fjTgMe 8 hours ago retweeted via chiefmartec
- RT @ralph_ohr: "For disruptive #innovation, the key to organizational renewal may lie in the needs of the customers, whereas for radical in… 13 hours ago retweeted via ralph_ohr
- Wie @Apple die Augmented Reality erobern will https://t.co/oz3MEn1Rol #innovation #ar 21 hours ago
- Interesting: Executives are out of touch with the human effects of digital darwinism https://t.co/oVGgjrICue… https://t.co/xHGRXtQdG0 22 hours ago
- Growing Opportunities in the Internet of Things - @McKinsey https://t.co/yxKR9Le6AN #innovation #strategy #IoT https://t.co/TJzmRij8cP 22 hours ago