This ‘opinion’ on the question “What can startups and incumbents learn from each other and what are the biggest threats?” was originally published at innoboard.de. In recent years, an increasing intensity in collaboration between incumbent companies and startups has been observed. Meanwhile, close to 80% of corporations and startups have already been or are […]
Tag Archives | Lean Startup
In the course of this first month of 2016, I was asked a couple of times what my prospects are for the year ahead when it comes to key innovation issues. Hence, I gave it some thought, starting by revisting an earlier reflection: Beginning of 2013, Tim Kastelle and I identified four key issues in innovation management for the time […]
For quite some time, I’ve been advocating the idea that successful and sustainable corporate innovation management systems should be based on the following cornerstones: Organizational ambidexterity: Sustainable innovation management is required to account for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. optimizing existing businesses and developing new businesses have to be driven in parallel. Failing to achieve an individually optimal balance will not lead to company success in the short and long […]
Yesterday, I was quite delighted to see my post Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking ranked #11 of the Top 100 Innovation Posts 2014 at Innovation Excellence. Once again, I was pondering why this post has been by far the most resonating one I’ve written up to now. My conclusion: many of us are aware that innovation tools, even up-to-date ones, have a limited scope […]
As pointed out in a recent post, teaming up with startups provides an opportunity for established firms to drive innovation without risking major interference with their core businesses. Particularly, with regard to radical or disruptive innovation, investing in startup incubators, accelerators or corporate venturing increases the chance to get access to promising novel technologies and business models. On the other […]
The resonance to my recent post on integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking features to a combined process has been stunning. It really seems to have hit a nerve! Interestingly, it looks like others support the idea of balancing and combining elements of both innovation approaches, too. A couple of days after having had published my post, Paolo Lorenzoni from IDEO confirmed the complementary nature […]
As outlined in earlier posts, organizations need to balance exploitation (i.e. development of existing business) and exploration (i.e. creation of new businesses) in order to thrive on the short and long term. The corresponding integration of incremental and radical innovation can basically be achieved in different ways: Building ambidextrous and lean startup capabilities Established organizations with larger size usually target at extending their core business by incementally […]
Both Lean Startup and Design Thinking are promising approaches in order to target innovation. The Lean Startup concept is an appropriate choice for creating new businesses through development of an already existing idea or vision. Design thinking, on the other hand, might be preferred if the right business idea has not been found yet and customer needs or problems are still vague. Therefore, […]
This post was co-written with Tim Kastelle from Innovation for Growth. What are the key innovation issues facing the business community right now? When we met up in person recently we had a great talk about this question. We’ve continued the discussion over email, and these are the four innovation management issues that we […]
Sustainable innovation requires evolution and revolution. Over the long term, organizations need to be capable of both moving along existing growth trajectories and creating new ones when the old business matures or stalls. This can be depicted as recurring movement along innovation s-curves. In the case of a new venture, acquiring lean start up skills […]
- Innovation Follows Culture Follows Structure April 3, 2019
- Digital Innovation and Scaling-Up April 2, 2019
- Centralizing vs. Decentralizing Innovation March 14, 2019
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Intrapreneur vs Entrepreneur – Characteristics, Examples and Definitions | Success Unscrambled: […] June 2017, Ralph-Christian Ohr wrote abo...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] we have pointed out in a previous post, ...
- Organizational Pathways to Business Model Innovation – Innovation Excellence: […] One is for sure – and this comes ...
- Five Blogs – 29 October 2018 – 5blogs: […] Innovation is About Getting Beyond the I...
- Increasingly Digital World-Learn Corporate Executive Lena Danielsson: […] Blogpost by Ralph-Christian Ohr, Integra...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks for your comment and sharing, Jesse - and s...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks Lena - likewise! Great lineup and insightfu...
- Lena Andrushchenko: Such a great article! Great you are writing about ...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – tri.cash crypto news: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Jesse Nieminen: Thanks for sharing the book Ralph-Christian, seems...
- How #diversity creates necessary safe spaces for #innovation - @TimHarford https://t.co/zRKC8W8f26 9 hours ago
- #Energy transition: No stakeholder group can unilaterally achieve faster and more impactful progress… https://t.co/LMjWjjaEPX 17 hours ago
- RT @ralph_ohr: Understanding Fake #Agile - by @stevedenning https://t.co/wBF1D0Pudw #orgdev #innovation 2 days ago retweeted via ralph_ohr
- Dual #Innovation is on the rise. While necessary, separating 'Explore' and 'Exploit' is not sufficient. Most approa… https://t.co/zevFzs4nKA 2 days ago
- #DigitalTransformation often turns out "new wine in old skins". By getting corporate #innovation (and its underlyin… https://t.co/kTX2MSpTBw 2 days ago