This article was co-written with Frank Mattes from Dual Innovation and innovation-3. The race is on for companies to find big, explorative or even “disruptive” innovation ideas. ‘Disrupt yourself or someone else will’, it has been said. Almost every company shifts into overdrive to create ‘smart’ products, to turn a product business into a […]
Tag Archives | Dual Corporate Innovation
W. Edwards Deming once famously stated: A bad system will beat a good person every time. What was Deming trying to convey with this quote? It wasn’t an attempt to get people to give up trying because failure was certain. It was an attempt to get people to understand the importance of the system and […]
First of all, Frank Mattes and I would like to wish you all the best for 2017 – we hope you’ve been starting successfully and innovatively into this new year. Last September, Frank and I launched a new initiative „SCALING UP: From Corporate Startup to Innovation Impact“. We have been overwhelmed by the huge resonance […]
Bain and Company has just published a worthwile article, debating on the question: What will the firm of the future look like? Among several characteristics, the authors also particularly anticipate future-proof companies to be required to manage two types of businesses by deploying distinct “engines”: Companies have always pursued innovation in their core business. Clayton Christensen has called […]
Here is a chart, shown by Scott Anthony from Innosight during a worthwile talk on ‘Dual Transformation’ in July this year. It puts in a nutshell what he refers to as the “hardest challenge in business today”: Simultaneously strengthening today’s business while creating tomorrow’s. The chart greatly captures the fact that dual transformation involves three distinct playing fields: Transformation A: Strengthen Today […]
Recently, Match-Maker Ventures and Arthur D. Little have released an interesting report, titled “The Age of Collaboration“. The study does a good job in synthesizing the global state of play of corporate-startup collaboration and latest findings on success requirements for its implementation. More and more corporations seek to engage with startups by pursuing corresponding activities across dedicated ecosystems and incorporating them […]
More than three years ago, we noticed a pain point in corporate innovation: How should companies balance the different requirements in searching for tomorrow’s business and in running today’s business? We wrote a well-received article series urging the need for organizational ambidexterity, i.e. implementing dual corporate innovation structures. First important steps have been taken Our […]
Recently, I’ve come across a couple of posts and articles debating on the question: In order to increase agility, should organizations aim to become more nimble across their existing structures or should they capitalize on separated units/ventures – such as innovation or digital labs – being dedicated to initiate and develop explorative ideas and opportunities? Let’s define agility as […]
Probably the most critical structural ingredient for innovation capability is how new ventures – internal as well as external ones – are to be implemented in the organization in order to get validated and scaled. Should a new venture be entirely separated from the core business as stand-alone venture? Should it be integrated into an existing business unit? Or is it […]
The first time I was advocating the idea of a dual innovation approach, here also referred to as organizational ambidexterity, is now more than 5 years ago. At this time it became pretty obvious to me that this concept – academically worn-out but deficiently or not at all put into practice in most organizations – would be of increasing importance […]
- Scaling-Up: The Foundation September 11, 2018
- Digital Innovation Units: Recommendations, Trends and Conclusions September 7, 2018
- Innovation is About Getting Beyond the Idea September 2, 2018
- Venturing Activities in Corporate Innovation: Types, Features and Success Factors August 4, 2018
- Dual Innovation Ecosystem Strategy: Broker vs. Orchestrator August 3, 2018
- A Model for Integrative Innovation Management March 21, 2016
- Integrative Innovation February 19, 2013
- Innovation and Organizational Culture February 14, 2015
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity May 29, 2013
- Innovation and Serendipity May 23, 2013
- Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation July 21, 2014
- The Firm of the Future Will Manage Two Types of Businesses January 20, 2017
- Bad Innovation Systems Beat Good Innovators (Almost) Every Time March 26, 2017
- Integrating Lean Startup and Design Thinking February 1, 2014
- Balancing Innovation via Organizational Ambidexterity – Part 2 August 12, 2013
- Jesse Nieminen: Thanks for sharing the book Ralph-Christian, seems...
- Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings – Innovation Excellence: […] for collaboration, corporations have rec...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Thanks - good to hear it's useful for you!...
- Omar Enrique Jimenez: Very good article...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Glad it's useful, Maisoun....
- Maisoun: Thanks for your effort...
- Ralph-Christian Ohr: Good to hear you find it useful, Paul....
- Paul Hobcraft: Nice pulling together of all the thoughts around c...
- Jurij: These days the importance of startup and corporati...
- Novas Formas de Engajamento entre Corporações e Startups 🚀 – Blog do Nei: […] Leveraging New Ventures for Innovation [...
- Disturbing study finding: Upon having been asked about the biggest strategic challenges their companies face, board… https://t.co/K6aE1v63CW 13 hours ago
- This thread is right on the mark! #innovation https://t.co/ALRyqe3JY3 2 days ago
- RT @petervan: Scaling Up Startups in Corporate Settings https://t.co/Y3lpSXSJqo by @ralph_ohr 2 days ago retweeted via petervan
- Great kick-off of our Peer Group 'Scaling-Up' 2018 in Berlin earlier this week - we are excited about further co-cr… https://t.co/DORNIlBRhE 2 days ago
- We propose implementing a dedicated #Innovation Playing Field and Operating Model to 'Reshape the Core' - acting as… https://t.co/9d7bWaFRJS 2 days ago